To take part in discussions on talkSFU, please apply for membership (SFU email id required).

Grading scale at SFU

edited June 2007 in General
Hey guys I have been trying to look all over the place to see what a certain percentage constitutes as a letter grade at sfu but I can't seem to find anything. They give you how much each grade is worth in regards to GPA but nothing for how much a percent is worth as a grade. Anyone have any info on this?

Comments

• edited June 2007
    It depends on the faculty and the prof. The prof will give you this information on the outline at the beginning of the term, but you can also search for course outlines on the SFU website (if you'd like to know before signing up for a class, for example).
  • edited June 2007
    I looked on the course outline nothing there. Even on the website couldn't find anything there I guess I'll just try calling tommorow morning and asking them.
  • edited June 2007
    Which course is it for?
  • edited June 2007
    Depends on faculty. If not by distribution (ie. top w/e % gets As, then Bs, then Cs,)
    95-100 = A+
    90-94 = A
    85-89 = A-
    80-84 = B+
    75-79 = B
    70-74 = B-
    65-69 = C+
    60-64 = C
    55-59 = C-
    50-54 = D
    GPA goes down by 0.33 starting from 4.33 for A+. Gap between C- (1.66) and D (1) is bigger.
  • edited June 2007
    its for psyc 201 with jodi vljoen...thanks for the info gawdawaful
  • edited June 2007
    gawdawaful;13787 said:
    Depends on faculty. If not by distribution (ie. top w/e % gets As, then Bs, then Cs,)
    95-100 = A+
    90-94 = A
    85-89 = A-
    80-84 = B+
    75-79 = B
    70-74 = B-
    65-69 = C+
    60-64 = C
    55-59 = C-
    50-54 = D
    GPA goes down by 0.33 starting from 4.33 for A+. Gap between C- (1.66) and D (1) is bigger.
    Wrong, that's either the scale for criminology or something you took from a college. For psychology at SFU, the scale is different:

90+ = A+
    85-89 = A
    80-84 = A-

and I forget the rest, but I think it goes like this:

78-79 = B+
    75-77 = B
    70-74 = B-

and the rest is the same. What gawdawaful stated is for the School of Criminology and as you can see, it's tougher to do well given that there is less room for error (us criminology majors have it TOUGH, trust me!). It is also the scale that most colleges use.

What I stated applies to most of the social sciences including psychology. Political science is a bit different--a bit harder to do well, but there is slightly more room for error than for criminology (I think the cut-off for an A- is 82%).
  • edited June 2007
    goliath;13796 said:
    its for psyc 201 with jodi vljoen...thanks for the info gawdawaful
    Buddy, I took Psyc 201 last semseter. Read my earlier post, I can assure you that it's that.
  • edited June 2007
    From Viljoen's outline Fall 2006:

"Approximately 18% of the class will receive grades in the A range, 38% in the B range, 32% in the C range, 8% in the D range and 4% in the F range"
  • edited June 2007
    Psyc is always on a distribution. Besides my two intro psych courses, nothing is written solid. Hence where I said depends on your faculty.

What I provided as far as I know, what was used in all of my crim, SA, Eng, and Hist that I've taken.
    And yah, poli-sci cut off is lower for As and such.
  • edited June 2007
    Malakaiii;13801 said:
    From Viljoen's outline Fall 2006:

"Approximately 18% of the class will receive grades in the A range, 38% in the B range, 32% in the C range, 8% in the D range and 4% in the F range"
    4% of the class will fail it and 12% will have to retake the course if it's a prerequisite? Whoa, that is one EASY class. I've taken courses with 60% failure rates...
  • edited June 2007
    In science classes the grades one gets are usually normalized by this magic black box of a computer program, and in doing so the marks are then re-binned to some sort of standard.

So although the department might say 86% is an A- cutoff, your real mark might have been 67% and then curved to hell and back to change it magically to an 86% because compared to the rest of your classmates your work was A- worthy.

It really is a lot murkier in university and it's easy to see why so many students play games with their professors to try and get extra marks.

Leave a Comment